Hyperwheel Overdrive is a groundbreaking multiplayer VR driving action game that combines first-person arena combat and racing.
Hyperwheel Overdrive: Press Kit
“ Our mission is to drive virtual reality forward, and to expand the scope of what is possible in VR. We believe that virtual reality constitutes the final medium, the last big step in the progression of media from radio to television to the internet, and holds nearly limitless possibilities to enhance the human experience. With our first title, we're hoping to demonstrate the potential we see in VR to gamers worldwide. ”
About the Game
Hyperwheel Overdrive hit Steam Early Access on March 26, 2020. We are continuing to refine the online gameplay over time, and plan to build new match types and stages over time.
Ramp off gigantic quarter pipes, while firing rockets from your in-car rocket launcher! Soar through the air above the Xenodome with a Plane Kit car mod, or navigate the Volcanica Sea with the Boat Kit. Look through a holographic sight on your laser rifle and shoot other drivers from afar!
Hyperwheel Overdrive has the following features that, combined, make it a unique VR title in 2020:
- highly maneuverable Hyperwheel Cars, vehicles that can flip over and keep on driving due to a simple & powerful 2-wheel design
- an assortment of 10 unique power-ups:
- Spring: bounce up off the ground; hold the trigger longer to bounce higher
- Boost: rocket boost ahead; hold the trigger longer to boost longer
- Grenade: throw 'em, cook 'em, or load 'em up into your launcher (it's easy to forget where you left them, though)
- Rocket: load these into your launcher too and fire them... even if your enemies are kilometers away
- Plane Kit: the plane mod gives you wings and an airplane tail too... just don't shoot a wing off!
- Boat Kit: the boat mod gives your hyperwheel car some serious paddle wheels
- Energy Shield: an energy bubble around you to take some damage for awhile
- Smasher: line up a car and smash!
- Spy Rocket: like a rocket, but with a camera that feeds video to your dashboard!
- Spiked Ball: a big expanding spiked ball that bounces around and causes massive damage!
- laser rifles, grenade launchers, and rocket launchers, combining first-person shooter elements with driving!
- online multiplayer modes including Death Match, Team Death Match, Race, Capture The Flag, and Hunt
- 17 race tracks playable forwards and backwards, in 4 stages
Hop in between those 2 giant wheels and push that throttle forward! It's time to experience Hyperwheel Overdrive!
You can read about the world of Hyperwheel Overdrive here.
Hardware Support & Platforms
Hyperwheel Overdrive has just been released on Steam Early Access, but we intend to release on Oculus Home eventually as well.
At this time, Hyperwheel Overdrive supports Oculus Rift, Valve Index, and HTC Vive.
Windows Mixed Reality is basically working, but we're not ready to approve our implementation yet. You're welcome to try it early, but please be patient as we iron out any issues.
April 30, 2020: Third-Person Perspective in New "Vector Stadium" Stage
Vector Stadium is the brand new fourth stage for the game, and fits a need for a simpler race track for learning the driving mechanics. Because of this, the tutorial can be done here now as well as in Xenodome. There is also a simple boat track and plane track here, and the stage is also set up to function as a great smaller deathmatch arena.
Also featured is the brand new third-person perspective! We've also expanded the comfort settings to offer more options for people more sensitive to "simulator sickness".
March 27, 2020: Spiked Ball Danger!
There are many more gameplay videos available as well.
Please feel free to contact us via our Contact page or via Twitter! You are welcome to use any screenshots on the screenshots page as well in any article that is fully or partially about Hyperwheel Overdrive.